Thursday, December 4, 2008

Pre Engagement Stage: no man's land

There was never any doubt that my wedding would be unusual. Mountain Boy and I just aren't the type of people who easily buy into things, particularly traditions. This combination of natures is perhaps why we work so well together; why we have loved our partnership into existence.

Case in point, we have had our wedding rings for almost six months. They are in the bottom shelf drawer. Six months is a really long time to know that your wedding ring is in the drawer.

We bought the rings on sale after a period of time where we had been talking about marriage in more and more concrete terms. I didn't want to be surprised by an engagement ring I didn't like, so I had started hinting about styles ant types... pointing out rings on TV or on other people.

Mountain Boy, after some period of ignoring my hints announced that he'd like a titanium ring. After looking a t a few online and at at an art booth, we found a website with bands in a style I liked on sale.

They're perfect. We each have a matching band (I'm not really into diamonds), and they were $99 a piece. Awesome. They came in the mail a few weeks later, and MB smiled and put them in the drawer.

Days went by....weeks.

Two nice romantic dinners.... nope.

Quiet hikes to mountain lakes.... nuhha.

Moon-lit camping on the beach... still nothing.

Holiday family gatherings......zilch

My birthday.... zero

His birthday.....btthpp.

Now, I'm not a patient person, but this would try anyone's nerves. So I hope I will be forgiven in the fact that I could not keep quiet about the rings in the drawers. My friends all knew, his friends all knew, I told my mother. I mean, come on, I had to tell my mother!

At this point I'm pretty sure that a portion of our friends had formed a betting-pool. One in particular has taken to asking Mountain Boy whether or not he's asked me yet every time he sees him.

My next probably date is Christmas. There is good reason to think this will be it. If not, maybe New Years.

By this time, you may be asking why I don't just propose to him. It's a good question. If I'm so non-traditional, then what does it matter? Right?

I guess it just does. I feel a little like I rushed him into living together. I don't want to wonder weather we got married earlier than he wanted to.

Maybe this is Mountain Boy's way of reclaiming the surprise. At this point it is kinda funny. In any event, it's a story.

Besides, it isn't as though a silly thing like not technically being engaged has stopped me from starting to plan the wedding. (ahem, or starting a blog about it).

When he proposes, I'll post a picture. The ring really is lovely.

1 comment:

Perth Wedding Dresses said...

"Thank for sharing this useful and informative article. I enjoyed reading your views on this subject matter. It’s a pleasure to read such well-written content."

Site Meter