Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Why I don't want a diamond



My mother saw a long time wish fulfilled this Christmas. She traded her small diamond ring for a honking 4-grand three stone. She's wanted it for years. I had always told her that if she wanted it so bad she should buy it for herself, but she wouldn't.

The new ring replaces the ring she married with. The old ring had a small diamond flanked by two small chips. The setting was partially white gold and partially yellow gold. It was the ring my parents could afford when they were young and poor. Now, I feel like it holds more sentimentality to me than it does to my mom.

It's not my decision.

When Mountain Boy and I decided it was time to look at rings for our wedding I made the decision to go without a diamond. It's less about the politics surrounding the stone and more a reflection of my style. I don't like rings that stand up off my finger, and fancy rings aren't really my thing. So when Mountain Boy stated a preference for titanium, we found a kick-a$$ deal on matching 4 mm bands.

My mother has already told me that i am inheriting her old ring. She wanted to put the diamond into a necklace for me to wear at the wedding, but I think I want to have it in it's original ring form. If I have it re-sized I can wear it myself. To me, it still represents my parent's commitment and love. Removing the stone wouldn't be the same. To me, it's not the diamond but the ring that matters.

No comments:

Site Meter